Summer is here! Although pool parties are mostly fun, they can also be dangerous.
Drowning is the second leading cause of death for children under 5, after motor vehicle incidents.
With owning a pool comes additional liabilities. The good news is that a Carolina Property and Casualty homeowners insurance policy can
cover the liability that results from the pool, but certain policy terms and conditions may affect coverage. Give us a call today to learn more and keep you protected.
Although your CP&C homeowner’s insurance policy will help, don’t rely on it to keep you safe.
Follow the tips below to prevent pool tragedies from happening:
- Fences and walls should be at least 4 feet high and installed completely around the pool.
- Fence gates should be self-closing and self-latching. The latch should be out of a small child’s reach.
- If your house forms one side of the barrier to the pool, then doors leading from the house to the pool should be protected with alarms that produce a sound when a door is unexpectedly opened.
- Never allow anyone, child or adult, swimmer or non-swimmer, to enter the pool unless a responsible person is accompanying them.
- Never leave an accessible pool unattended. Remember, a child can drown in less than 5 minutes.
- Never leave swimming toys in the pool. They are too inviting for a young child.
- Insist that your adult guests supervise their children at all times.
- Never let intoxicated guests enter your pool.
- Keep rescue equipment by the pool and be sure a phone is poolside with emergency numbers posted.
- Pool alarms can be used as an added precaution.
- Underwater pool alarms generally perform better and can be used in conjunction with pool covers.
At Carolina Property and Casualty we go beyond your insurance transaction, such as the purchase
of an SC homeowners insurance policy, to provide you with tips and advice to keep you safe from harm.
If you own a pool and would like to discuss your liability limits with a personal risk advisor, please call us today at 843-839-8361
Check out our other solutions including auto insurance, renters insurance, boat insurance, motorcycle insurance, condo insurance, and more.